Hardin William Reynolds and his wife Nancy Jane Cox Reynolds built an elegant, two-story brick home on Rock Spring Plantation near the village of Critz in 1843. Their son R. J. Reynolds, founder of the well known tobacco company, was born here in 1850. Civil War veteran, Major A. D. Reynolds, the father of the founder of Reynolds Metals Company, was born here also along with 14 other children. The original 19th century home, restored in 1970, has been designated a state and national historic landmark. The grounds include both a family cemetery and one of the few marked cemeteries of slaves and their descendants. A modern Continuing Education Center, operated by Virginia Tech, hosts a variety of cultural and educational activities throughout the year. A Virginia Tech Forest Research Center is located on the 717-acre property also.
Come and browse through the historic home, tour the grounds including the Reynolds cemetery as well as the slave cemetery. Walk down to the Friendship Garden and picnic. Come for a program, a tour, or a class. Classes and workshops are held in the Continuing Education Center and are open to everyone. The classes include arts and crafts, history and literature as well as plays, concerts, festivals and art exhibitions. The homestead features the winners of the Jeb Stuart Art Show once a year. It also has the Victorian Christmas celebration.
More Photos (click to enlarge):